From the Ground Up
|Dooley's Pub is locally owned and operated by Jennifer & Michael Dooley, dba Dooley's Pub, Inc. Both Jennifer
and Michael graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire in December of 1991. The Dooley's have
lived in Eau Claire as a family for approximately 17 years. They are the proud parents of four wonderful children
and have strong roots in Eau Claire. Owning a restaurant/pub has been a lifelong dream for them. They both
had the wonderful experience of working on Water St while attending the University. Jenny was a bartender at
Pioneer Tavern, thanks Paul (she's on the bartender wall of fame as Jennifer Del Bianco). Mike was fortunate
enough to have worked at Pioneer for a summer and then he moved on to the Old Home, where Elvis was the
King (now called the Pickle).
The opportunity to try their hand at restaurant ownership was preceded by the unfortunate loss of a Water St
icon, the Camaraderie. The Cam burned down in January of 2001. The Dooley's decided to purchase the empty
lot in August of 2003. From that point on the decision was made to proceed with building plans. Everything took
hold in May of 2004 when the local firm of Lien & Peterson Architects began designing the current building.
Royal Construction was then signed on as the General Contractor and thing s really picked up speed. From the
ground breaking in May of 2005 until the doors opening in October 2005.
We hope that you will stop by and give us a chance to be your restaurant/pub of choice. We'd like to thank you
in advance for giving us the opportunity.
Slainte (pronounced slahn-chuh). To your health or Cheers!
|What's up with the logo? Why the heart and hands? It's a Claddagh! The Irish symbol for Love, Friendship, and
Loyalty! Our logo was developed and designed by Michael Rosen and Christian Dooley( a couple of good Irish
|The hands are there for friendship,
The heart is there for love.
For loyalty through out the years,
The crown is raised above.
There are several forms of symbolism about the Claddagh ring; depending on which hand it is worn.
Worn on the right hand with the heart turned outwards (point outward), the world will know that the heart has not
yet been won.
Worn on the right had with the heart turned inwards (point inwards), it shows that friendship and love is being
Worn on the left hand with the heart turned inwards (point inwards), it means that two loves have joined forever.
Misty fables surround one of Ireland's unique treasures, "The Claddagh" a symbol of Love, Friendship and loyalty.
Some 400 years ago in a fishing village called Claddagh overlooking Galway Bay, close to the city of the Tribes,
lived Richard Joyce a Master Goldsmith. It was he who crafted this now famous design that has become part of
the IRISH heritage.
The Claddagh Ring belongs to a widespread group of finger rings called Fede or "Faith rings" which date from
Roman times. They are distinguished by having the bezel cut or cast in the form of two clasped hands,
symbolizing faith, trust or "plighted troth". Fede rings were popular in the Middle Ages throughout Europe, and
there are examples from this time in the National Museum of Ireland, Kildare Street, Dublin. The "Claddagh" ring is
a particularly distinctive ring; two hands clasp a heart surmounted by a crown.
The ring worn on the right hand, crown turned inward tells your heart is yet unoccupied, worn with the crown
turned outwards reveals love is being considered. Worn on the left hand the crown turned outward shows all, your
heart is truly spoken for.
W. Dillon in his publication on "The Claddagh Ring" in the Galway Archaeological Society Journal, Vol. IV, 1905-6,
defines the limits over which the ring is worn as roughly from the Aran Islands on the West, and through all
Connemara and Joyce Country to Galway, and then eastward and southward for not more than 12 miles at most.
The whole district is the one served by fisher folk of the Claddagh village just outside the city of Galway, but
became known as the Claddagh ring probably because of the proximity to the city of the large Claddagh fishing
community using the ring alone.
Huge numbers of Claddagh rings were left with a Mr. Kirwan following the Great Famine 1846/7 which finally had
to be consigned to the melting pot as there was nobody to redeem or purchase them, hence the difficulty in
ascertaining their origin.
Dillon describes some early rings, one with a mitre-like crown, rings made from coins, an analogous ring from
Brittany, a "Munster" ring, also Spanish rings with some similarities. He tells us that the Claddagh ring was the
only ring ever made in Ireland worn by Queen Victoria and later by Queen Alexandra and King Edward VII. Their
rings were made by Dillons of Galway, established in 1750, to which the Royal Patent was granted and the
tradition has been carried on at Dillons to this day. Prince Rainier and Princess Grace of Monaco in 1962 were
presented with gifts embodying the Claddagh ring motif set in Connemara marble.
In 1984 when Galway celebrated its Quincentennial as a Mayoral City, the people of Galway presented a specially
commissioned 18 carat gold Claddagh ring to President Ronald Reagan.
The earliest examples of Claddagh rings that can be dated are stamped with RI, the mark of Richard Joyce, a
goldsmith working in Galway circa 1689-1737, of the Joyce Tribe, one of the renowned "Fourteen Tribes of
According to Dr. Kurt Ticker in "The Claddagh Ring - A West of Ireland Folklore Custom" (1980) interest in
Claddagh rings became dormant after Richard Joyce ended his manufacturing career in the 1730s, and it was
revived a generation or more later, probably by George Robinson (Dillon in fact had attributed the earliest ring to
Robinson). From then on a number of Galway goldsmiths and jewelers of Galway made Claddagh rings. Their
early manufacture was by cuttle-bone mould casting, then the cire perdue or "lost wax" process up to the 1840s,
when manufacture became commercialized.
Some Marks on Claddagh Rings from the latter part of the 17th to the early part of the 18th century.
CLADDAGH JEWELERS AND THEIR MARKS
RI RICHARD JOYCE, GALWAY
GR GEORGE ROBINSON, GALWAY
AR ANDREW ROBINSON, GALWAY
NB NICHOLAS BURDGE, GALWAY
F AUSTIN FRENCH, GALWAY
JD RD WD DILLON
JS JOHN SHADWELL
The Origins of the Claddagh Ring even yet remains a matter for conjecture, both popular stories of its origins
attribute it to the Joyce family of Galway City. The two stories are as follows.
The first story says that a Margaret Joyce married Domingo de Rona, a wealthy Spanish merchant who traded
with Galway. They proceeded to Spain, where he died, leaving her a considerable fortune. Returning to Galway
she used her fortune to build bridges from Galway to Sligo, and re-married Oliver Og French, Major of Galway
1596/7. She was rewarded for her good works and charity by an eagle that dropped the original Claddagh ring
into her lap.
The story of the Claddagh is one of the most beautiful sentiments to come from the Irish culture. The story began
about 5 centuries ago in the fishing village of Claddagh, just outside the city of Galway.
One fateful day, a young man was at sea with other men from his family in their small boat, when suddenly a
Spanish pirate ship appeared. The men knew they were doomed. The pirates captured the men from Claddagh
and brought them to the far off North coast of Africa and sold them into slavery for what would surely be the rest
of their lives.
However, the story can't end there...
Richard, the youngest of those captured, was the most distraught. All the men had left loved ones behind.
However, Richard had only just come to know what true love was, and now, to have it stolen away! Well, the years
passed. Some of the men died. Others accepted their fate.
However, young Richard yearned each day as he toiled in slavery to return to his village and his beloved far away.
Each day he stole a small speck of gold from his wicked masters goldsmith shop where he was forced to tend the
fires. After a number of years, he was able to fashion a ring. He hoped and prayed that some day he would be
able to bring the ring to his true love. It is not really known now whether young Richard escaped or earned his
release from slavery. In any case, the day finally came and Richard began his long journey to the island in the
North Atlantic known to us as Ireland and to Richard as home.
When Richard finally completed his journey he was overjoyed to learn that love was true and that his Colleen had
prayed and waited faithfully for his return. It was on this day that he presented her with the ring that is now known
in each corner of the world as the Claddagh Ring.